PERSONAL PROTECTIVE EQUIPMENT MAINTENANCE
S.O.G. No.: 01-029
Revision: May 2006
Effective Date: May 2006
1.1 In the interest of the department member’s health and safety, this document is established to provide guidelines maintaining a safe work environment.
2.1 Union Fire District Board of Wardens Policy
3. OSHA REQUIREMENTS
3.1 The department shall maintain proper safety precautions in accordance with OSHA regulations.
- 4.1 Provide safety in the event that firefighter turnout gear has been contaminated with blood born pathogens, flammable substances or products of combustion.
- 4.2 To protect personal protective turnout gear and to maintain a better life expectancy, each firefighter will wash their gear as needed. The rational is based upon research indicating longevity is reduced by the abrasive effects of dirt and debris, and by reaction to several common chemicals and ultraviolet light.
- 4.3 Turnout gear should be kept clean, air dried and stored out of direct sunlight.
- 4.4 At a minimum, each member should clean their gear twice a year.
- 4.5 Laundry facilities are available in Station 2, Wakefield Fire Department. Members are to contact the Station Captain for assistance.
- 4.6 Only use the soap at Station 2 and do not machine dry. On average, in a dry room, turnout gear should dry in approximately six (6) hours.